Sunday, October 21, 2012

Career Thoughts: Neonatal and Perinatal Medicine

Dr. Karev of Grey's Anatomy carefully
monitoring an incubated neonatal
My recent obsession with the show Grey's Anatomy has sparked an interest in me for a possible future in Medicine. However lofty this seems, an episode I saw just yesterday really made me curious about the medicine of Neonatals (Newborns), particularly in Intensive Care Units. The delicate care that Newborns undergo (especially when at risk) was fascinating, especially for pre-mature ones. In the episodes "Dark was the Night" and "Suddenly," Doctors Karev and Grey care for a premature neonatal who experiences and ambulance crash on the a journey to the hospital. The emergency care and sacrifice that goes into saving babies was not only heroic but also scientifically and emotionally stimulating.  From incubating the infant, to providing ventilation, fluids, and all core life supports seemed like an inspiring task.
            My research in this field was further driven after watching the episode. I found out that Neonatologists require three years of pediatric residency and additional three years of fellowship. And yes, I am aware that Grey's Anatomy is a dramatized account of medicine, but it still gave me some exposure to a career I think would be interesting.

For a REAL LIFE account of Neonatology, here is an informative video that I found:



Some things I learned from the video:

  1. Caring for Neonatal patients is a team effort of nurses, physicians, and parents
  2. Emergency situations are common and often times, newborns at high-risk are transported my helicopter
  3. A Pediatric Residency must precede Neonatology Training
  4. Newborns can have a range of problems as a result of the pregnancy, or in the delivery.  While congenital abnormalities, lung problems, and infections are common, one disorder that interests me the most is hypoglycemia (low-blood sugar) in infants.

No comments:

Post a Comment