Thursday, February 7, 2013

Ethnic American Literature: There is SO Much!!

I love books.  I love books about people, about changing experiences, and about people from all across the world.  Reading a particularly short story about world travel in English Class today, reminded me of how much I love Children's Ethnic Literature.  Ethnic I guess can mean a multitude of things.  Chinese, Hispanic, Black, Indian, Arab, Pacific Americans and more.  However, the interesting thing about this genre, is the mixing flavors of voice and style.  Just take a look at a few of these excerpts:

"For woman is yin, the darkness within, where untempered passions lie. And man is yang, bright truth lighting our minds." 
- Amy Tan, The Joy Luck Club, Ch. 4


“We are like the phoenix," said Abuelita. "Rising again, with a new life ahead of us.”


Pam Muñoz RyanEsperanza Rising



I love the traditions of old generations past, the tones of ancestors, and the interesting facets of one's ancestral ethnic culture that play a part in the American Dream.  That's why I really love this genre.  It makes being American so flavorful, all-encompassing, and new in constantly changing experiences.

Future Plans? I may take some college courses on Latino Studies, Asian America Lit, Black Diaspora, etc. (you name it!:)).  The more classes and experiences I get to have in this genre, the more tastes I'll get of the melting pot!

And oh, just one more proposal.  How cool would it be to take a shot at creating some of my own.  Maybe integrating an Ethnic Short Story into a project for Film Class?  I'm sure It'll be a challenge, but I think it might be an interesting/supercoolandfun idea.  Tell me what you guys think.  Any ideas??

No comments:

Post a Comment