Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Fire of Flamenco.....and then some

Flamenco.  Not a lot of people know exactly what it is, more or less, have an interest in it.  To me, its an art form, a form of expressing ones feeling, in either dance, music, or any form of movement.  It can be broad or narrow, and interpreted in so many ways.

A traditional dance and music style originating from Andalusia, Spain, Flamenco is a tantalizing melting pot of arab, gypsy, and spanish art.  The tocaor (guitar player) accompanies the bailaor (dancer) and cantaor (singer).  To me the mixture of these three artists, along with a clapping rhythm allow for the most simple yet versatile mode of expression. Anger, love, jealousy, glee, and despair are just some of the multitude of feelings expressed in this art form.

Of my favorite beats/rhythms of flamenco is the traditional buleria.  This slow, and passionate style is very raspy and mystic sounding to me (a facet I love).  Here is one of my favorite examples, featuring the renowned Estrella Morente and one of the three flamenco dynasties: Los Habichuelas.


Flamenco can be a single art form, or a musical festivity enjoyed by many.  One of the three flamenco dynasties is called La Ketama. Here is one of their popular DVD albums.  I love how its so improvisational and family-oriented.


Finally, flamenco is slowly evolving with tastes from other nations and Spain's youth.  Here are two examples.  One is a collaboration with more modern artists: Nina Pastori and Raul Rojas.  The other is a flamenco rendition of a famous Turkish folk song.


This post was almost like poetry for me.  It helped me put out my true feelings for this art form, and I enjoyed sharing some of my favorites with you:)

No comments:

Post a Comment